Monday, March 22, 2010

Isosceles Triangles on the Math Forum

Wow, it's been a couple of weeks since I've blogged - I've had a busy March. Lots of travel: some personal and some for work. (I was in Western New York last week for student and teacher workshops - much fun!)

Anyway, back to my normal routine (whatever "normal" means):

My March project for the Math Forum is ready, and it's about creating right isosceles triangles and assembling them to form a square. The work is done using only a few, simple SketchUp tools, and you'll also explore the relationships between edge lengths and areas of adjacent triangles.


I got the idea for this project after finding this video on math teacher Bill Lombard's website. He presents a way to assemble 7 triangles into a square, but you can have any number, as long as the triangles follow the correct pattern.

This project has both a teacher version and student version. Enjoy!

Anyone can design anything in 3D! www.3dvinci.net

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon
Join our FREE Email Mailing List!




No comments: