Monday, May 17, 2010

Islamic Geometric Patterns

Usually I ignore Amazon's "Recommended for You" picks, but last week I perked up when I saw "Islamic Geometric Patterns" by Eric Broug.

If you saw my Math Forum project on Girih Tiles (Feb 2010), you know I'm into this stuff. But how did Amazon know? I guess I order more geometry books than I thought.

So the book arrived this weekend, and last night I cracked it open. It's written in three levels: Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced, and is geared toward hand drawing with compass and straight-edge, pencil and ink. The steps are quite easy to follow, and of course, each project can easily be done in SketchUp. The book includes a CD, which I haven't opened yet.

Here's the first construction project (Level 1 - Easy), showing tiles found on the Great Mosque of Cordoba. The lines are constructed with the Polygon, Circle, and Tape Measure tools:


The Line tool traces over the lines needed for the pattern:


Then you color and repeat. Groups and components make this quite easy.



There are 19 constructions in all, so expect to see these detailed on the Math Forum, and also included in my Projects of the Month. Teachers of math, art, and even history: your students will LOVE this!


Anyone can design anything in 3D! http://www.3dvinci.net/

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon
Join our FREE Email Mailing List!



No comments: