Thursday, June 14, 2012

Awesome 8th Grade Math Models

Jan Cohen is a middle-school math teacher at New York's Heschel School. I introduced SketchUp to her and some of her colleagues a few years ago, and her students have taken to SketchUp like a fish takes to water!

Jan sent me her collection of year-end models from her eighth graders, and I'm posting here some of my favorites. Maybe I'll turn some of these into subscription projects!

"Golden Spiral"



"Portfolio 1"



"Golden Pentagram"



"Pentagons"


Here is a close-up of one pentagon - notice the stars within stars within stars:


 The generically-named "Math Project" is one of my all-time favorites!

 I'm trying to recreate this model, without using complex scaling-within-group techniques and without using mathematical multipliers. Here's the center:


Finally, one called "Building." I'm not sure what math went into this model, but it's quite cool. With no elevator, you need to run up four flights of stairs. . . 

 . . . and once you make it to the top, you can play ping-pong, pool, foosball, or jump into the hot tub.







Anyone can design anything in 3D! http://www.3dvinci.net/

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon
Join our FREE Email Mailing List!


1 comment:

RealSpace said...

This brings me back : )